Sunday, March 27, 2011

Happy, Happy Birthday, Baby!

My baby turned two. Amazing, isn't it? We love him so much more now than we ever have. Even with all his newly-discovered independence and his frequent assertion of the freedom of speech, we just continue to be amazed by what a giant spirit and sweet heart this boy has, and humbled by all the joy he's brought to our lives. He's learning so fast and stringing together sentences that amaze me. Tonight and last night he asked me to sing "Walk in a light" to him (Teach Me To Walk in the Light," and he sang along! This last week he's been saying "Robin Hood come to our house." Not sure where he got that from and it hasn't happened yet, but I'm still kinda hoping it will. His command of pronouns is particularly surprising, and his speech patterns are pretty correct for such a little guy. None of that matters, of course, because all we really notice is that he still has that cool hair.

So to celebrate this amazing guy's 2nd birthday we started out by taking cupcakes to play group.

We didn't want anybody to feel obligated to bring presents, and quite honestly I didn't feel up to throwing a party (I love toddlers but having 10+ of them in my tiny apartment is not appealing in my 7-month pregnant state). We then invited Uncle Kyle over to go bowling with us, and brought in our neighbors for the birthday cupcakes and presents.


Reece preferred to kick the ball, which resulted in several getting stuck halfway down the lane.


I hope Reece felt loved, as he is greatly loved by everybody who knows him (if you know him and don't love him, you are a monster).

He piled all his presents on the table and couldn't wait to dive in and open them all. He was so polite and said "thank you" after opening each one. And he even spent time with each present, making me feel like I didn't waste money in buying them. The kid's smart.



So happy birthday to my special little guy. I am so blessed to be your mama. You truly amaze me every day and make me happier than I ever thought I could be. (Side note: Paul won't let me post the picture entitled "Real birthday booty," with Reece sitting on his new potty chair for the first time. But just know that it's adorable, and perfect blackmail material for later in his life).

7 comments:

Svedi Pie said...

He is such a sweet little boy, I love seeing all the cute pictures of him and wish I could see more of him (and you!) in person :)

Paul said...

I love this post. Thanks for putting on such a fun time for him.
Love you.

dances alone said...

oh my heavens, he is adorable. "come back soon, on my birthday" does that sound familiar? the little baby bunny telling robin hood to come to her house. has he seen robin hood? well, if YOU see him, let me know-I've been looking for him all my life.
seriously though, you just have the cutest family and I'm so glad Reece is such a delight. love ya!

Carina said...

I can't believe he's already two! Whoa. Time is just flying by. Great job to both mama and daddy for raising such an adorable kiddo :)

Hayley Housekeeper said...

Wendy... Did you make those cupcakes? They look so yummy! Not that I am in anyway surprised if you did. If you didn't however, you can still take the credit and I'll never know :)

Dave Carr said...

And once again, Kyle (Yedi), was captured on film, proof of his existence in the Pacific Northwest.

Liz said...

I love the last picture! (And we love Reece!)